Skip to content
Saltash Town Council

Saltash's Heritage

Saltash Town Council Crest

A brief history of the town

A thousand years ago there were many Saxon settlements in the rural area to the west of the modern town, notably the villages of Trematon and Burraton. Soon after the Conquest in 1066, the Normans built a motte-and-bailey castle in a commanding position 1.5 miles south-east of Trematon village.

Saltash was founded as a market town by the lord of Trematon Castle in the 12th century. The town was sited at a point where an ancient highway crossed the Tamar estuary by means of a ferry. By the end of that century Saltash had achieved borough status.

Saltash also developed as a port, the first to be established on the system of estuaries reaching far inland from Plymouth Sound. In consequence, the borough was entrusted with jurisdiction over all those waters, an arrangement that was challenged many times but was not terminated until 1901. Trade on the estuaries invigorated rural life in St Stephens and other adjoining parishes.

The town's strategic position and maritime interests led to its involvement in many important events, and produced some lively personalities. Here there is space to mention just a few.

Useful links

Download "A History of the Town" (1.6MB pdf)

‹‹ Visit Saltash

Contact Us:

Saltash Town Council, The Guildhall, Lower Fore Street, Saltash, Cornwall PL12 6JX

Tel: 01752 844846

General Enquiries: enquiries@saltash.gov.uk

Data Protection Enquiries: gdpr@saltash.gov.uk

Freedom of Information Enquiries: foi@saltash.gov.uk

Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm

Library Opening Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 10am - 5pm, Sat 10am - 1pm